European Capital Markets Union: Update on Progress to Date
Building on the success of our inaugural scene-setting Capital Markets Union Summit last May, this event is the first in a series of ECMU implementation events which we plan to hold every six months over the next two years, with the programme in each case focusing on those initiatives that are current at that point (e.g. on recently launched consultation or discussion papers and legislative proposals).
We are delighted that Harriett Baldwin MP, Economic Secretary, HM Treasury, has confirmed that she will give the first keynote address, while Martin Merlin, Director, Financial Markets, DG Financial Stability, Financial Services and Capital Markets Union, has kindly agreed to deliver the second.
For this first event, we will focus on:
- The Commission’s feedback on its consultation on which pieces of post-crisis regulation stand in the way of capital markets union. The consultation closes at the start of January, so, by April 2016, the Commission should be in a position to give its feedback.
- The Commission’s report on crowdfunding, due to be published in Q1.
- Ongoing work on revising the Prospectus Directive.
- The Commission’s Green Paper on increasing choice and competition in retail services and insurance (Q4 this year).
- Developing a pan-European framework for covered bonds (recently published consultation).
- The proposal for standardised securitisation structures (recently published consultation).
- Initiatives to support institutional infrastructure investment (recent change to Solvency II and ongoing review of CRR)
We are working closely with the European Commission on this series of implementation events. By ensuring that each conference in the series focuses on the latest key issues at that point in time, we are likely to secure a high level of attendance from senior decision-makers.
The confirmed speakers to date for the 7 April event include the following:
- Martin Merlin, Director, DG Financial Stability, Financial Services and Capital Markets Union
- Jeremy Allcock, Head of Infrastructure Debt, Standard Life Investments
- Giles Andrews, Co-Founder and Executive Chairman, Zopa
- Luca Bertalot, Secretary General, European Mortgage Federation & European Covered Bond Council
- Mark Boleat, Chairman of the Policy and Resources Committee, City of London Corporation
- Samir Desai, Founder and Chief Executive, Funding Circle
- David Geale, Director of Policy, Financial Conduct Authority
- Mark Hemsley, Chief Executive, BATS Chi-X Europe
- Richard Hopkin, Managing Director, Head of Fixed Income, Association for Financial Markets in Europe
- James Inness, Partner, Latham & Watkins LLP
- Stéphane Janin, Head of Global Regulatory Development, Axa Investment Managers
- Simon Lewis, Chief Executive, Association for Financial Markets in Europe
- Jonathan Lipkin, Director of Public Policy, The Investment Association
- Paul Massey, General Counsel, Crowdcube
- Christian Moor, Policy Advisor, Covered Bonds & Market Risk, European Banking Authority
- Julia Prescot, Chief Strategy Officer, Meridiam
- Nikhil Rathi, Chief Executive, London Stock Exchange
- Marc Robert-Nicoud, Chief Executive, Clearstream Holding
- Verena Ross, Executive Director, European Securities and Markets Authority
- Martin Scheck, Chief Executive, International Capital Market Association
- Andy South, Managing Director, Head of Structured Finance Research in EMEA, Standard & Poor’s
- James Stewart, Global Chairman, Infrastructure, KPMG LLP
- Daniel Trinder, Managing Director, Global Head of Regulatory Policy, Deutsche Bank
- Lawrence Wintermeyer, CEO, Innovate Finance
Who should attend
Attendance at this event will be invaluable for the senior and operational management of UK banks, Asset Managers and Insurance Companies as well as Investment Banks, Private Banks, Retail Banks, Wealth Management, Investment Brokers, Hedge Funds, Venture Capital Firms, Private Equity Firms
- 20% discount for ECMI members is available with the promo code ECM2ECMI